My husband and I are heading off to Ecuador for five weeks very soon and we've decided we're going to pack light. Now, we haven't gone crazy and decided to pack a carry on sized case, but my main pack is 50L which is a lot smaller than what I'm used to. I did a mock pack during the week and I managed to fit everything in, with room to spare so I'm pretty pleased about that. The main thing is to pack layers rather than bulky items and to use the compression straps that come with the bag. They make things nice and snug. So what am I taking?
- 3 thick pairs of socks (for my hiking boots) & 3 thin pairs of socks (for my sneakers). Yes, I probably could go with three medium thickness socks total, but I've got the room so I'm being decadent.
- 6 pairs of undies, 1 sports bra and normal bra (plus the one I'm wearing on the plane). I debated getting synthetic fabric undies, because they'll dry quicker, but I shouldn't run out.
- 2 pairs of bathers (this was recommended for the cruise we're doing - who likes to get into wet bathers?)
- 1 light rainjacket
- 1 hat
- 2 pairs of shorts (well actually it's three because one of pairs of pants does the zip off thing to become shorts)
- 2 tank tops
- pyjamas - tank top and boxer shorts
- 2 pairs of pants, plus the jeans I'll wear on the plane
- 1 long sleeved top (for the layers - we're going a couple of cold places)
- 4 t-shirts
- 1 infinity dress (if it ever arrives. I ordered it five weeks ago and I'm still waiting)
- 1 jumper (that I'll wear on the plane because it's a bit bulky)
- Sneakers, hiking boots and thongs
- Towel (one of those quick dry ones)
Aside from that I have a small toiletries bag and I'm taking only 100ml bottles of things. Having the small bottles takes way less space which is great. We've also made up a medical kit which includes sunscreen, bug spray, pain killers, pills for all the usual illnesses and malaria tablets. And of course it's always handy to have band aids, wet ones and tissues.
Finally I have to include my electronic stuff:
- Camera, extra battery, extra SD card and charger
- eReader and charger (already have it loaded with about a dozen books I can't wait to read!)
- Plug converter so we can use the power points
- Headphones, iPod and charger
- Binoculars (we're going to the Galapagos Islands, so lots to see)
- Goggles (for the snorkling at Galapagos)
- Torch and spare batteries
Finally I can't forget the passport, vaccination book (because apparently you need to show proof), tickets and money. Have I forgotten anything?